Did you know that February is ‘American Heart Month?’ That’s right … but don’t stop there. You should be eating healthy EVERY month!
Heart disease is known to be the leading cause of death in the U.S. The good news is that by making healthy changes in our lifestyle and choices in what we eat, we can reduce and possibly eliminate the risk of heart disease.
Our team at Peacock’s Poultry Farm has a few dietary tips that will help keep that vital organ of your pumping strong:
– Read those labels! Know what you’re putting in your body. If you can’t pronounce it then it might not be something your body really needs to stay healthy.
– Reduce the amount of salt you consume. Daily sodium intake should never exceed 1500 mg. Try using spies instead.
– Reduce the amount of sugar in your diet. Too much sugar can also lead to cardiovascular disease.
– Eating minimally processed foods is the best way to help guarantee you’re doing good things for your entire body, not just your heart.
As always, all the products we offer at Peacock’s Poultry Farm meet a strict criteria for health-conscious customers… just like you.
This month’s “Facts from the Farm” …
- A chicken’s heart beats around 300 times a minute. That’s roughly 4-5 times faster than a human. (Talk about needing a healthy heart!)
- The heart of a blue whale weighs about 1000 lbs and beats six times a minute.
- A Zebrafish can regenerate its heart. (Too bad humans can’t do the same!)
- The multi-legged Octopus has three hearts. (Now there’s a backup system for you!)